[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2636: v.buffer, allow selection of columns for opts "distance", "minordistance", and "angle"

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Feb 22 02:09:38 PST 2016

#2636: v.buffer, allow selection of columns for opts "distance", "minordistance",
and "angle"
--------------------------+---------------------------------
  Reporter:  isaacullah   |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
 Component:  Vector       |    Version:  svn-releasebranch70
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  v.buffer, columns
       CPU:  x86-64       |   Platform:  Linux
--------------------------+---------------------------------

Comment (by mmetz):

 Replying to [ticket:2636 isaacullah]:
 > Currently, v.buffer only allows a column selection for single radius
 (opt "column"), but allows the creation of "oblong" buffers using the
 manual entry opts "distance", "minordistance", and "angle". v.buffer would
 be a lot more useful if these could all simply be column selectable too.
 For example, if I have a large vector points file of archaeological site
 locations, and I have BOTH a length and width column (and, potentially, a
 "site axis direction" column too), then I could make a "buffer" map of the
 actual site size and orientation. Currently, in v.buffer, I can only use a
 calculated "average" site radius column, and make circular buffers for
 these sites.

 The options "minordistance" and "angle" apply only to the GRASS-internal
 buffering method which never worked. It is recommended to use only the
 GEOS buffering method, but it does not support these options to create
 oblong buffers. To avoid confusion, the options "minordistance" and
 "angle" should be removed.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2636#comment:5>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>