[GRASS-dev] is it time to release GRASS71?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Feb 25 06:34:12 PST 2016

On 25/02/16 13:45, Vaclav Petras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 4:14 AM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com
> <mailto:landa.martin at gmail.com>> wrote:

>     <mailto:lucadeluge at gmail.com>>:
>     > I support this, but I think it should be 7.2 not 7.1. Usually stable
>     > version is even number
>     >https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release
>     > only 6.3 was an exception
>
>     then we should probably rename milestone from 7.1. to 7.2 [1]. Ma
>

> What would be the point in skipping the one version? Or why stable and
> unstable versions? How many times we did that? Last time we did that was
> 10 years back. Is it user-friendly? I don't think so.
>
> I don't understand this no odd numbers versioning. Please explain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning#Odd-numbered_versions_for_development_releases

I don't have a strong opinion either way, as I don't think that this
scheme is so strong in people's heads that they would be surprised by a
7.1, it hasn't really been followed much in GRASS' history.

Moritz