[GRASS-dev] r.bioclim output integer maps

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 06:14:22 PST 2016

Hi Markus

I just noticed that r.bioclim rounds the values, resulting in an integer
map. I realize that the /toutscale/ parameter can be set to get the
required precision. Still, would it be an idea to mention more
explicitly in the help file that the output files are integer and that
in order to ensure sufficient precision, one needs to set the toutscale?
Perhaps also something to mention, only scale factor of a power of 10
make sense (given the rounding of the final results)?

A suggestion is (added text in italic) :

If the input temperatures are scaled, e.g. as input = Celsius *
10, then the <b>inscale</b> option must be set to 10. Similarly, the
<b>outscale</b> option is by default 10, and temperature output is
in this case Celsius * 10. Exceptions are BIO3, BIO4, and BIO15
which are always multiplied with 100 (see below). /The reason <b>//
//outscale</b> is set to 10 by default is that the output layers //
//are integers and a scaling factor of 10 (or higher power of 10) //
//ensures a minimum precision./

p.s. why are all maps rounded? For me that would be something to leave
up to the user (or to make integer maps as output optional)?

And let me take the opportunity to wish you all a happy 2016 :-)

Paulo