[GRASS-dev] PostgreSQL as default backend for all users?

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Mon Jan 4 04:53:19 PST 2016

Hi,

I am looking into PostgreSQL as an alternative for SQLite at the moment. However I am missing an option to make PostgreSQL the default DB backend for all users on a Server installation of GRASS GIS. The db.connect manual says connection parameters are stored in the mapset`s VAR file. Did I overlook something?

What I had in mind was probably a setting in e.g. a file $HOME/.grass7/dbconnect_default which may contain e.g.:
driver=pg
database=MY_DATABASE
schema=$MAPSET
group=MY_GROUP_USER
which could be deployed in user`s home (and may also be useful for single users who want to use PG as backend).

But that would probably also require changes to the initialization of the DB backend, if the default behavior (meaning SQLite) should be overwritten?

Would you consider this worth an enhancement ticket?

Kind regards,
Stefan

P.S.: Sorry that I am not able to contribute with code properly...