[GRASS-dev] cp -r vs -R in make

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:55:22 PST 2016

Hi,

I just ran into a problem when compiling an addon on Mac OS X:

Compiling...

Installing...

cp: the -H, -L, and -P options may not be specified with the -r option.

make: *** [install] Error 1

It seems cp -r (lowercase r) is not portable, see [1]. Mac cp man page says:

Historic versions of the cp utility had a -r option. This implementation
supports that option; how-ever, however, ever, its use is strongly
discouraged, as it does not correctly copy special files, symbolic links,
or fifo's.

lowercase r is used on couple of places, mainly include/Make/Install.make.
So my question is if anyone thinks there are some valid reasons for using
lowercase r.

Thanks,

Anna

[1]