[GRASS-dev] Layer Manager notebook

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:02:30 PST 2016

Hi,

I plan to change the style of the Layer Manager tabs in the bottom of the
window from wx.FlatNotebook to wx.Notebook. The results look like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1j-R6U3_Ct9RFd1V3JSbDRjdGc/view?usp=sharing

Reasons include:
* FlatNotebook behaves strangely on Ubuntu 15+ with wxpython3 wxGTK,
switching tabs doesn't work well
* FlatNotebook rendering glitch on MacOSX with wxpython 3 (visible in the
screenshot)
* FlatNotebook causes crashing when switching from 3D to 2D on MacOSX with
wxpython 3 http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/16357
* FlatNotebook probably causes loosing focus when switching to command
console
* FlatNotebook probably causes some GDK critical warnings on Ubuntu

Overall, by using native widget (wx.Notebook) we avoid many glitches.
However, the appearance will be different for different OS. I personally
don't have problem with that, but I would suggest applying this to Mac and
Linux, not Windows, because on Windows it looks ugly and since we still use
wxpython 2.8, the described glitches don't apply there. Opinions?

Related to this, any opinion on making the labels of the tabs shorter?

Map layers -> Layers
Command console -> Console
Search modules -> Search
Data catalogue -> Catalogue