[GRASS-dev] Layer Manager notebook

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:20:52 PST 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 2:56 AM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 26/01/16 03:02, Anna Petrášová wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I plan to change the style of the Layer Manager tabs in the bottom of
>> the window from wx.FlatNotebook to wx.Notebook. The results look like
>> this:
>>

>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1j-R6U3_Ct9RFd1V3JSbDRjdGc/view?usp=sharing
>>
>> Reasons include:
>> * FlatNotebook behaves strangely on Ubuntu 15+ with wxpython3 wxGTK,
>> switching tabs doesn't work well
>> * FlatNotebook rendering glitch on MacOSX with wxpython 3 (visible in
>> the screenshot)
>> * FlatNotebook causes crashing when switching from 3D to 2D on MacOSX
>> with wxpython 3 http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/16357
>> * FlatNotebook probably causes loosing focus when switching to command
>> console
>> * FlatNotebook probably causes some GDK critical warnings on Ubuntu
>>
>> Overall, by using native widget (wx.Notebook) we avoid many glitches.
>>

> +1
>
> However, the appearance will be different for different OS. I personally
>> don't have problem with that, but I would suggest applying this to Mac
>> and Linux, not Windows, because on Windows it looks ugly and since we
>> still use wxpython 2.8, the described glitches don't apply there.
>> Opinions?
>>

> I think that ideally, whenever possible, we should avoid having different
> treatments for different OS's. But if you all think that the windows
> version looks too ugly (I'm quite insensitive to such issues, so not a good
> judge), then +1 as long as windows is still wxpython 2.8.

Done in r67679.

>> Related to this, any opinion on making the labels of the tabs shorter?
>>

> For me they can be as short as you want, as I know what they are about,
> but we have to try to think like a GRASS newbie, here. So, my reflections
> in detail:
>

>> Map layers -> Layers
>>

> +1
>
> Command console -> Console
>> Search modules -> Search
>>

> For these two I'm not sure if the short version is clear enough on what
> these are about: will most users understand what a 'Console' is ? At what
> is it you can search there ?

I would think console is pretty clear, but that's just my feeling. I agree
Search is ambiguous, although it might not be a huge problem for users.

> Data catalogue -> Catalogue

this was supposed to be catalog

> +1
>
> Python shell -> Python
>>

> Again, not sure if just 'Python' is enough to make it clear.
>
> IIUC, the reason for shortening is essentially OSX, or ? Wouldn't it be
> possible to just slightly reduce font size ?

Not just Mac, in my case last tab is hidden but I can see a small arrow
showing that there is another tab. We don't have to decide this now, I was
thinking about this for some time and I was wondering if others agree we
need this.

Thanks,
Anna