[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2878: "v.in.ogr -i" throws an error when importing a GeoJSON file containing a single point.

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu Jan 28 12:17:09 PST 2016

#2878: "v.in.ogr -i" throws an error when importing a GeoJSON file containing a
single point.
--------------------------+---------------------------------
  Reporter:  pmav99       |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Component:  Vector       |    Version:  svn-releasebranch70
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  v.in.ogr v.import
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
--------------------------+---------------------------------

Comment (by mlennert):

 Replying to [comment:14 mlennert]:
 > Replying to [comment:13 mlennert]:
 > > Replying to [comment:12 pmav99]:
 > > > Replying to [comment:10 mlennert]:
 creation of mapsets with 0 resolution in any direction, and, if not (as I
 think it should be), then what would be a reasonable default when creating
 a location from a file containing data with identical coordinates in
 either of the directions or with just one point.

 > > > I also tried to create a location using the grass binary and a
 GeoJSON file containing a single Point. The location gets created without
 any errors/warnings but when you try to open the location you get the
 following traceback:

 > > Yes, g.proj should have the same issue, so I think the solution will
 not be in v.in.ogr, but at library level. Just no time right now to look
 into it.

 > Didn't have the time, but took some anyway, but only for coding, not
 much for testing. Try attached patch against trunk.

 I just slightly modified the patch to create a region just around the
 point or line with epsilon*2 as distance.

 However, a location created via g.proj location= fails, this time
 apparently because of 3D region parameters. And the grass -c also fails,
 but the DEFAULT_WIND files are not identical between the two methods. I
 don't really understand why at first glance as the startup script method
 seems to just call g.proj...

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2878#comment:15>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>