[GRASS-dev] PSC election 2016

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Jul 21 05:16:44 PDT 2016

Dear GRASS-GIS community,

I started exploring GRASS-GIS almost 9 years ago.  The project has taught me a
quite a lot and, as well, reinforced me to perform work with it too.

I am pleased to contribute to the project by volunteering for the CRO's role
for the upcoming Project Steering Committee (PSC) election process. Even if
this role is "little", I consider it an important one.

Herewith the official schedule for the PSC election 2016 is announced.

- Starting on this Sunday (24. 07. 2016), the process ends on Monday the 29th of
August 2016.

- The new committee will be formed by nine (9) members.  This is in accordance
with the current PSC chair and the original planning when constituting the PSC.

All important details and dates follow below, the last section being an
Overview.

Please, consider to encourage persons who somehow relate to the project, to
subscribe themselves in (one of) the lists (mentioned below).

1. The process

The election process is split essentially in two phases:  1) the Nomination
and 2) the Voting.  Final actions are announcing the results and officially
forming the new PSC, formed by nine (9) members.

1.1 Nominations

During the Nomination phase, *any* member of the GRASS-GIS community, can
nominate *any* community member for being a candidate for the PSC.

To set a nomination in motion, an e-mail should be directed to the CRO
including *name*, *contact email* and shortly *why* a person is recommended as
a PSC member. The CRO will then contact the recommended person asking for
confirmation.  The nominated person has to accept the candidacy for the PSC.

In short, a nomination and its acceptance *are required to be sent directly to
the CRO*, in private.  Following, it is the CRO's task to officially announce a
nomination.

*Note*, current PSC members will be asked if they wish to stand as a candidate
for the upcoming election.

1.2 Voting

The CRO will ensure to invite all (subscribed) community members.

During the Voting period, community members can vote their preferred
candidate(s) via an on-line tool which will protect privacy.

Each voter can vote one time.  However, there is no limit as to how many, among
the candidates, a voter can select.

2. Time frame

If there is no objection, or other force majeure, I would like to accelerate
the PSC election process, starting on Sunday the 24th of July.

The absolute deadline for the whole process, including the announcement of the
new committee, is the 29th of August at 12:00 UTC.

2.1 Nomination Period

The nomination starts on Sunday the 24th of July at 12:00 UTC, runs strictly
for 3 weeks and ends on Sunday the 14th of August at 12:00 UTC.  Following this
period, there will be a one week of no-action to have time to reflect and
decide.

You are kindly asked to refrain from cancelling an already announced nomination
or support and request for a new nomination.  Unless there are serious reasons
to cancel a nomination, modification of the list of nominees will not be
possible after the end of the 3rd week.

2.2 Voting Period

The voting period will run from Sunday the 21st of August at 12:00 UTC up until
Sunday the 28th of August at 12:00 UTC.

2.3 Results

Votes will be counted and the top nine (9) voted candidates will fill the seats
to form the new PSC.  In case of a vote tie, the CRO will randomise the
selection between the tied candidates for a PSC seat.

Results to be announced, at latest, on Monday the 29th of August at 12:00 UTC.

Afterwards, the newly formed PSC will elect the chair person, being one of the
new members.

3. Overview

3.1 Nomination (I)

   • from  July 24th at 12:00 UTC (http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?pl=1&lid=100,12&h=100&date=7/24/2016|3)  to  August 14th 2016 (http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?pl=1&lid=100,12&h=100&date=8/14/2016|3)
   • e-mails directed to the CRO by:
      ◦ a community member to nominate a candidate
      ◦ the nominee to confirm acceptance of candidacy

3.2 Nomination (II)

   • from  August 14th at 12:00 UTC  to  August 21st 2016 12:00 UTC (http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?pl=1&lid=100,12&h=100&date=8/21/2016|3)
   • re-think, evaluate, decide for candidate(s)
   • email directed to the CRO by a candidate for cancelling candidacy
   (possible **only** for important reasons)

3.3 Voting

   • from 21st of August at 12:00 UTC  to  28th of August 2016 at 12:00 UTC (http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?pl=1&lid=100,12&h=100&date=8/28/2016|3)
   • eligible to vote are all subscribers to either the
   https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/grass-user  or  the
   • privacy/anonymity guaranteed by using an online voting system
   • system currently under consideration/evaluation is https://vote.heliosvoting.org
   • voters will be invited via email

3.4 Results

   • at latest, 29th of August 2016 at 12:00 UTC (http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/?pl=1&lid=100,12&h=100&date=8/29/2016|3)

Wishes for a good election process.  The CRO,
Nikos Alexandris

--
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3