[GRASS-dev] Comment regarding PSC election

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Tue Jul 26 09:41:06 PDT 2016

This is no disruption or mess. These are important topics to continue discussing.

Michael Barton
School of Human Evolution &Social Change
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

...Sent from my iPad

On Jul 26, 2016, at 12:21 AM, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com<mailto:veroandreo at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hello Nikos, Lu

Thanks for your answers :)

I didn't intend to create any mess neither disrupt nor put in danger the ongoing election process, but to merely express my opinion. I'm sorry if I made a mess by doing so. It's a pity that the matter didn't reach dev or user lists before so I could have said it earlier, though I understand not everything is to be discussed publicly.

Yes, Lu, I understand there must be rules, of course... But that doesn't mean they are always fair/inclusive or that one has to agree with all of them or that they cannot change in the future (I passed 18 long ago :))

I could also ask for add-ons writing access, but even if I was granted that, it would feel like fake... since indeed I've never contributed an add-on. I don't think it is wise either to inflate developer community with ppl that have not contributed an add-on, and that would not even be fair to those that have indeed done so. I would just like to have the right to vote as the (bothersome) user I am... I mean, maybe I'm the only one, dunno, but if not interested or committed to the project why would someone else or anyone in any case want to involve him/herself into this? :P

So, in conclusion, not to make it endless, it would be great if upon request/approval users could vote either in this occasion or in future elections... GRASS is shipped with contributors and contributors-extra files, maybe those are good starting points, no? :)

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Vero

El jul. 25, 2016 10:41 PM, "Luca Delucchi" <lucadeluge at gmail.com<mailto:lucadeluge at gmail.com>> escribió:
On 25 July 2016 at 19:26, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com<mailto:veroandreo at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hello everyone,

Hi Vero,

> This is my personal opinion and no more than that, but I just think it is a
> bit unfair that for not having svn writing access I'm not able to vote. I
> don't understand how, as user, I'm entitled to nominate a person for PSC,
> but then, I cannot vote. I mean, there are several people with writing
> access that have remained inactive for a long time (no contributions to svn,
> no answering emails, no commenting on tickets or whatsoever), and IMHO,
> while not a developer, I've been pretty active the past 2-3 years. This is
> the first time I don't see/feel the community spirit that I've always
> praised GRASS for and that was one of the main reasons why I involved myself
> in it and spread the love for the project everywhere I went... and that's
> sad from my point of view.

I understand that you would like to votes, and I think you should
vote, but some rules should be present, something like 18 to vote (at
least in Italy)
Maybe you could ask for svn addons access, I think PSC could approve
this, you worked for documentation and you could help also in
translation.

--
ciao
Luca