[GRASS-dev] Towards SVN - git integration

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Thu Jun 9 03:40:41 PDT 2016

Jachym Cepicky <jachym.cepicky at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> (after a while)
>
> I agree with Rainer - and I understand the conservative point of view
> - and still remember last change from cvs to svn. Meanwhile, couple of
> you might have custom scripts which do enable similar magic in svn,
> which are natural to git (without any need for hacking). Git really
> makes it *very* easy to merge code and solve conflicts, not to mention
> possibility of forking and pulling from various repos (more organised
> way of accepting someone's code).

Just to clearify - forking and pull and push requests are github
features - not git. Nowadays github is so sexy, that its features are
often confused with being git features.

> I think, it's possible to have the main repo in Git and access it with
> svn client, if I'm not mistaken. But moving to git as main repo would
> be wise option IMHO.
>
> Github certainly is great service. Custom GitLab instance on (OSGeo?)
> server should certainly be considered.

In the long run would a GitLab server possibly be the best option. But
in the meantime a move to github would be the easiest and all features
for which github is famous are there.

> But what is the difference between GitHub and Intevation (for those,
> who remember)? Just the scale business model IMHO, but the principal
> is the same - private companies hosting infrastructure for open source
> projects.

This is exactly why many dislike github. But as you said, gitlab is also
an option which has very nice features (also CI for testing).

Cheers,

Rainer