[GRASS-dev] How to sample raster values along a vector line?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Mar 10 09:56:48 PST 2016

Hi devs,

I somehow don't get how to sample values from a raster map along a
vector line which is several pixels long.
In essence, something like this
#1852: r.profile: accept lines vector map as profile
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1852

Issues:
- I tried v.split but don't know how to extract the nodes from the
resulting map.
- I also tried v.to.points but the distance is "random". Try this:

# NC data
v.to.points railroads output=railroads_nodes use=node dmax=200

g.region vector=railroads_nodes
d.mon wx0
d.vect railroads_nodes
--> ??

I found a hint about v.drape but also no success.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Markus

PS: I have roughly 100.000 lines to process.