[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2962: v.out.ogr should be able to shrink attributes names for ESRI Shapefile format

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Sun Mar 13 08:20:37 PDT 2016

#2962: v.out.ogr should be able to shrink attributes names for ESRI Shapefile
format
----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  medspx          |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect          |     Status:  new
 Platform:  All             |
----------------------------+-------------------------
 When trying to use v.out.ogr to shapefiles, some attributes are not
 exported at all just because their name is more than 10 characters long.

 v.out.ogr complains: ERROR 6: Failed to add field named 'a_road_name'

 I know this is a Shapefile limit but I think that there should be a
 mechanism  like in OGR library where unique field names are produced:

 "Attribute names can only be up to 10 characters long. Starting with
 version 1.7, the OGR Shapefile driver tries to generate unique field
 names. Successive duplicate field names, including those created by
 truncation to 10 characters, will be truncated to 8 characters and
 appended with a serial number from 1 to 99.

 For example:

     a → a, a → a_1, A → A_2;
     abcdefghijk → abcdefghij, abcdefghijkl → abcdefgh_1"

 With such a mechanism there would be less export errors...

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2962>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>