[GRASS-dev] split GRASS (lib / cli / modules / wx / qt / web / etc.)

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Mar 18 05:09:01 PDT 2016

Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com> writes:

> [...]
> again to me it seems that a lot of things are mixed.
>
> Split these main functionalities in different repository can help
> developers, because they can focus/work on a smaller base of code.
>
> So how to split GRASS. It  would be nice to open a dedicate repository
> (git?) for each of this projects:
>
> - grass-lib: provides only C and Python API. This component should be
> a python citizen, I mean that should be available at the PyPI - the
> Python Package Index [1] and of course install-able as python package
> through pip;
> - grass-cli: provides a shell (with no modules!), also available as a
> pure python package;
> - grass-modules: provides all the GRASS core modules (this could be
> also a pure python interface calling functions in the C/Python
> libraries), and could be split in other sub categories (e.g. imagery,
> temporal, terrain, etc).
> - grass-wx: provides a WxPython/Phoenix interface for GRASS
> - (grass-qt: provides a PyQt/PySide interface for GRASS)
> - (grass-jupyther: provides a Jupyther interface to GRASS)
> - (grass-rest: provides a RESTful API for GRASS)
> - (add your idea here... :-D)
> - etc.
>
> Each point is characterize by a different use-case and this things are
> generally developed by different person with different backgrounds and
> needs and to me it make sense to split them.
>
> We could have a greater granularity and a clear focus for each
> repository and could help to acquire new developers because it open
> new GRASS' development possibilities.
> Enlarging the use-case of GRASS. Separate things in dedicated
> repository force developers to respect the distinction, and force them
> to think where the code should be put/published.
> Such subdivision could help has to reduce the total amount of code
> making things more general and abstract. It should also help making
> independent and well isolated tests.
>

> It should also help the development cycle since we can release things
> in a independently way, it requires only to specify in the
> requirements.txt file a working tested combinations of python packages
> versions.
>
> {{{
> numpy>=1.10
> grass-lib>=8
> grass-cli==8.1
> grass-modules>=8
> grass-wx=8.1.3
> }}}
>
> I think this idea could help mainly developers making things clear and
> well organized in different sub-projects.
> Opening the possibility to integrate GRASS functionalities to other
> open-source projects.
>
> This solution could help also in making things easier also for
> packager and users, for example users could install GRASS on all the
> system (win/Mac/*nix) running a single command:
>
> {{{
> $ pip install --user grass-lib grass-cli grass-modules grass-wx

I am not a developer of GRASS but in my experience, it is very
advantageous to split one large package into smaller ones and I think
this is definitely a step into the right direction.

Just for clarifications: GRASS will still be available as a deb package
for Debian and derivatives, dmg, ... I hope? (pip makes me always a
little bit nervous - no idea why. Possibky it is another package manager
in addition to deb, rpm, dmg, homebrew, Macports, ...).

Also: It would see it as very important that grass can be installed on
all systems (as you mention - win, mac, *nix, ...?).

Cheers,

Rainer