[GRASS-dev] FW: FW: OSGeo-SoC 2016 application

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Mar 25 05:24:05 PDT 2016

Bo,

I've read through your application. It is quite long, so I think you can
shorten the overview of the different algorithms a bit.

Maybe I was, again, unclear in my previous mails, but I would qualify
mean-shift and watershed as top-down algorithms. If your not comfortable
with these notions (of top-down/bottom-up), better not to include them
in the proposal.

Other than that, it seems fine to me.

Some elements you could add to make it stronger:

- The specific question of how to handle large data. i.segment uses
binary search trees. Have you already worked with those ? As you say
that you "coded to process large volume" data, could you provide one or
two examples including information about your approaches ?
- Possible difficulties and how you plan on solving them (including
other obligations you might have during that time, vacation plans, etc).
- Have you ever worked in a *nix environment ? Even though GRASS runs on
Windows, it does come from a *nix environment and understanding that
helps...

I won't be available for most of (my) afternoon. I'll try to have a
quick look at my mail around 18h (CET), i.e. 2 hours before deadline,
but can't absolutely guarantee it.

Maybe MarkusM has something to add ?

Moritz