[GRASS-dev] RandomForest classifier for imagery groups add-on

Steven Pawley dr.stevenpawley at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 07:58:50 PDT 2016

Hello Paulo,
Many thanks for this. I updated the mode last night to include the ability to force regression mode, as well as including some more error checking for valid combinations of input parameters. Classification mode also checks that the input labelled pixels are CELL type. I'm not outputting all of the appropriate uncertainty measures like RSQ yet for regression mode yet, but I'll add those in.
That is interesting that you had better performance when using regression. I will have to check that for my application using scikit learn. In R using the randomforest package, the results were pretty much identical but my classes were balanced already, which I think is one factor that can lead to significant differences between binary classification probabilities vs regression.

Yes definitely will use this as a template to include other methods. I Only recently switched my work from R to Python but am just submitting a paper based on R which uses a range of classifiers like randomforest, GLM, GAM, and MARS which it was useful to evaluate the differences.
Steve