[GRASS-dev] Passing computational region to individual commands

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:27:06 PST 2016

[was: Adding an expert mode to the parser]

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Sören Gebbert <
> soerengebbert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> >r.mapclac --raster-region= --north= --south= --west= --east= --res=
>>>

> I like this in the sense that if the region setting for the module is
> something which should be managed by these extra options, then they should
> be managed in parser, rather than introduced one by one for individual
> modules.
>
> But how is this different from using GRASS_REGION? Convenience of --raster-region=?
> Better syntax than environmental variable?

It would work better when using GRASS GIS by grass command with --exec:

grass72 /path/to/grassdata/test1/PERMANENT/ --exec r.univar map=elevation
--region-raster=elevation

which needs to be now done using two commands:

grass72 /path/to/grassdata/test1/PERMANENT/ --exec g.region raster=elevation
grass72 /path/to/grassdata/test1/PERMANENT/ --exec r.univar map=elevation