[GRASS-dev] r.sun OpenCL not working

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Nov 14 15:16:31 PST 2016

(for completeness also here)

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Lorenzo Bottaccioli
<lorenzo.bottaccioli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have configure grass7.04 -with-opencl --with-opencl-includes=/path/include
> --with-opencl-libs=/path/lib and I try to run it on a Intel Xeon dual socket
> 32-thread. The compilation say that OpenCl support is activated but when I
> run r.sun I don't see any multi-theard and the process uses only one CPU. I
> have test OpenCL with other software and they use multiple CPUs.
>
> Any suggestion to solve the issue?

According to
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1446#comment:7
there is the "infrastructure" to support openCL included but the r.sun
code does not contain the relevant changes to make use of openCL.

The r.sun code with openCL support is here (but it was not maintained
any more since 2011):
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R.sun#OpenCL

So some effort would be needed to get that running again.

Best
Markus