[GRASS-dev] Upcoming 7.2.0: review which addons to move to core

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sat Oct 1 12:25:47 PDT 2016

Sounds fair enough as requirements for new core modules. “Maintainable code” would in praxis mean “the module has undergone a code review by a core developer”?
Those requirements would add to Markus requirement of “maturity”, which I would interpret like “the module has been tested in praxis and options and flags are consolidated” (so no major changes are expected / planned)...?

I am afraid, it seems only very few of the suggested modules are covered with unit tests. Most of them have a good documentation. No idea about the maintainability of the code...

How should we proceed with this topic? Should the named modules (and from my point of view Moritz OBIA modules would be very welcome too) be considered as a kind of “wish list” from the community? Probably more voices would be needed, as we currently have no “download statistics” or similar measures which may tell us something about the popularity or wide spread application of a module that would give reason to integrate it into core...
Where should such wishes be collected? A wiki page? Knowing of such interest might be an incentive for an addon-developer to write a test or to improve documentation...

Identified candidates could be added to core once they fulfill the requirements above. Would that happen only in minor releases or would that also be possible in point releases?

Or is that already too much formality and if someone wishes to see an addon in core that is simply discussed on ML?

Cheers
Stefan