[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3115: v.kriging: segfault if a parameter is not set

Eva Stopková eva.stopkova at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 13:00:24 PDT 2016

> #3115: v.kriging: segfault if a parameter is not set
> -------------------------------------------------+----------
> ---------------
>  Reporter:  mlennert                             |      Owner:  grass-dev@
>>      Type:  defect                               |     Status:  new
>   segfault                                       |
>  Platform:  Unspecified                          |
> -------------------------------------------------+----------
> ---------------
>  In the v.kriging addon, when I only provide the parameters marked as
>  required (+ the -2 flag for 2D interpolation) I get the following:
>

>  {{{
>  v.extract elev_lid792_randpts out=elev_lid792_selected random=500 --o
>  v.kriging -2 input=elev_lid792_selected at user1 phase=initial icolumn=value
>  WARNING: Not recommended to process for sparse or spatially heterogeneous
>           data. The result can be inaccurate - trying to solve asap...
>  Reading coordinates...
>  Segmentation fault
>  }}}
>
>  I have to add the report parameter for it to work:
>

>  {{{
>  v.kriging -2 input=elev_lid792_selected at user1 phase=initial icolumn=value
>  report=report.txt
>  }}}

I have fixed the bug like this: if the report name is missing, just initial
phase (preliminary experimental variogram computation) is performed and the
user is asked to repeat it with non-empty report parameter if he wish to
continue with theoretical variogram and interpolation.

>  At this stage, two unasked-for files are in the same directory: dataE.dat
>  and
>  variogram_hz_tmp.txt.
>
>  Required parameters should be declared as such and not lead to a segfault.
>  And any temporary files created during the run of the module should be
>  erased at the end.

These temporary files are necessary, as they store settings and results
from previous phases to be available in current phase of interpolation. And
the process needs to be splitted into phases, because there is an
interaction with the user needed (theoretical parameters settings according
to experimental variogram). Unfortunatelly, this is not possible to manage
interactively during module performance.

As these files are unasked-for indeed, I have added the information about
them into command output: If initial phase is successfully accomplished,
the user is warned not to erase temporary files <dataE.dat> and
<variogram_hz_tmp.txt>. They are deleted in middle (final) phase
automatically, but in previous module version, the user had been informed
just in case that they were missing accidentally.

Best regards,

Eva