[GRASS-dev] Fwd: Re: Upcoming 7.2.0: review which addons to move to core

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Oct 5 07:46:23 PDT 2016

On 05/10/16 16:29, Paulo van Breugel wrote:

> On 05-10-16 15:20, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> Maybe we should ask the users of whether this distinction between
>> modules and core and extensions is really relevant for them, or
>> whether most are perfectly happy to just install extensions.
>
> Since you are asking :-) , as an user, my main interest is in good
> documentation and reproducible examples (which I can than also use to
> see if outputs make sense to me as an user). In that respect there is no
> inherent difference between core modules and extensions. What is
> different is that many (most?) of the core functions are accessible
> through the menu. I personally don't find that very important,
> especially with the modules tab giving fairly easy access to extensions,
> but I can imagine that for new / other users, especially those more
> inclined to menu-driven applications, this may make a difference.

Thank you, Paulo, for this feedback.

This means that finding a means to more easily integrate addon modules
into menus might be a task to keep in mind.

Maybe the startup script could check the .grass7/addons directory and
automatically create an 'addons' menu using [1] ? Maybe the mecanism can
be changed in a way to just allow to create toolboxes and that these are
automatically integrated into the main menu ?

Just brainstorming, here...

Moritz

[1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/wxGUI.toolboxes.html