[GRASS-dev] Fwd: Re: Upcoming 7.2.0: review which addons to move to core

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 08:14:13 PDT 2016

On 05-10-16 16:50, Sören Gebbert wrote:

> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be <mailto:mlennert at club.worldonline.be>>:
>
>     On 05/10/16 16:29, Paulo van Breugel wrote:
>

>         On 05-10-16 15 <tel:05-10-16%2015>:20, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
>             Maybe we should ask the users of whether this distinction
>             between
>             modules and core and extensions is really relevant for
>             them, or
>             whether most are perfectly happy to just install extensions.
>

>         Since you are asking :-) , as an user, my main interest is in good
>         documentation and reproducible examples (which I can than also
>         use to
>         see if outputs make sense to me as an user). In that respect
>         there is no
>         inherent difference between core modules and extensions. What is
>         different is that many (most?) of the core functions are
>         accessible
>         through the menu. I personally don't find that very important,
>         especially with the modules tab giving fairly easy access to
>         extensions,
>         but I can imagine that for new / other users, especially those
>         more
>         inclined to menu-driven applications, this may make a difference.
>

>     Thank you, Paulo, for this feedback.
>
>     This means that finding a means to more easily integrate addon
>     modules into menus might be a task to keep in mind.
>
>     Maybe the startup script could check the .grass7/addons directory
>     and automatically create an 'addons' menu using [1] ? Maybe the
>     mecanism can be changed in a way to just allow to create toolboxes
>     and that these are automatically integrated into the main menu ?
>
>     Just brainstorming, here...
>

> How about g.extension will create a menu entry based on the modules
> keywords when it installs the module? And it will remove the entry
> when the module gets removed?

These sound like interesting options. I don't have a very good idea what
would be the best approach, but I would caution against full freedom for
the module to install itself in any location in the menu. I am having in
mind how some QGIS addons create menu items, including in the top-level
menu, resulting in what for me is a more chaotic bloated environment. In
that sense, perhaps there could even be an option at installation to
prevent the module from creating a menu item.