[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-user] GRASS GIS 7.2.0RC1 released

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 15:39:58 PDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Markus Metz
> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The list of new features lists new features for GRASS 7.0. Is this
>> intended?
>
> Well, nobody wrote a new page for 7.2 so far...

Nobody (means here several persons including me) had time to write a
new page so far I guess. It seems that the purpose of

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures

was to list new features compared to GRASS 6

How about
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7.X/NewFeatures

with X being the minor version?

>> Related: a trac page with new features in trunk would be
>> nice, because it is always a bit of work to identify new features
>> compared to the previously released minor version. Ideally, such a
>> trac page with new features in trunk can be copied whenever a new
>> major/minor version is released.
>
> Yes, we could collect major improvements like that.
>
>> This is a technology preview, isn't it?
>
> The RCs yes.
>
>> The raster compression methods
>> including null file compression are new and IMHO would benefit from
>> more testing in the soon to be released version 7.2. This is a major
>> change in rasterlib.
>
> Indeed! We need to put a big disclaimer into the final release announcement.

That is why I assumed that G7.2 (final) will be a technology preview:
the first release with these new features.

Markus M