[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2943: Absolute path in TGIS connection can make db inaccessible in a (mixed) multi-user environment

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Sun Sep 11 12:00:52 PDT 2016

#2943: Absolute path in TGIS connection can make db inaccessible in a (mixed)
multi-user environment
--------------------------+-------------------------
  Reporter:  sbl          |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Component:  Temporal     |    Version:  unspecified
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  t.connect
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
--------------------------+-------------------------

Comment (by huhabla):

 Replying to [ticket:2943 sbl]:
 > It seems that the connection to the TGIS sqlite.db is defined for the
 mapset using an absolute paths.

 > That makes it inaccessible in cases where mount points change, e.g. in a
 multi-user environment. In my particular case,
 /grassdata/ETRS_33N/precipitation_daily/tgis/sqlite.db (produced from
 within Linux) is (naturally) not readable from Windows where the
 equivalent path would be
 R:\grassdata\ETRS_33N\precipitation_daily\tgis\sqlite.db

 > One can work around this issue using t.connect -d when starting to work,
 but this is only possible for "mapset owners".

 > Would be nice if environment variables could be used
 ($GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET) and first expand/evaluate at access
 time or relative path to the current mapset...

 This issue should be solved in 7.2 release branch and trunk. The
 connection should use relative paths to the tgis database as default.
 However, be aware that the temporal framework was not tested on windows
 and is not designed to run on windows systems.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2943#comment:3>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>