[GRASS-dev] Adding an expert mode to the parser

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Sep 27 04:54:49 PDT 2016

+1

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> * various commands: "Use the low-memory version" - also more advanced
>

> I guess this is a typical example where we need to be careful. I can
> imagine a situation when a beginner has a lot of data and low-end hardware.
> By hiding an parameter like this, we would make it even more advanced. Now
> you not only need to understand that your hardware is not enough and that
> the algorithm should somehow account for that. You also need to know that
> there might be a hidden option for that and you need to know how to find
> it. Having this in the manual or even a Memory or Speed tab in the GUI,
> gives some hope that even a beginner will be able to use it.

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.
As a federal employee, my email may be subject to FOIA request.