[GRASS-dev] r.pi installation fails

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 05:22:24 PDT 2017

On 07-04-17 14:05, Markus Metz wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Paulo van Breugel
> >
> > Hi Devs
> >
> > I am trying to install r.pi addon, but I am getting the following
> error message:
> >
> > Fetching <r.pi> from GRASS GIS Addons repository (be patient)...
> > Compiling...
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file
> > /usr/local/grass7/grass-7.3.svn/lib/libgrass_rpi.7.3.svn.so
> <http://libgrass_rpi.7.3.svn.so>:
> > Permission denied
> > collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[1]: *** [/usr/local/grass7/grass-7.3.svn/lib/libgrass_r
> > pi.7.3.svn.so <http://pi.7.3.svn.so>] Error 1
> > /bin/sh: 1: cannot create
> > /usr/local/grass7/grass-7.3.svn/error.log: Permission denied
> > make: *** [r.pi.library] Error 2
> > ERROR: Compilation failed, sorry. Please check above error messages.
> >
> > It seems it is not installing the plugin in the plugin folder but in
> the grass7 system folder?
>
> At least it tries to install the r.pi library in the system folder and
> not in the local addons folder. Even if the r.pi library would be
> installed to the local addons folder, the library path would need to
> be modified accordingly, not sure if g.extension handles that.
>
> If you compile GRASS from source, you can svn checkout the r.pi
> folder, manually run make and (as root) make install.

OK, thanks for the information. This is a disadvantages of having all
addons automatically listed in the g.extension installer, even if it is
known to not install. The same is true for shell scripts, which can also
not be installed automatically using g.extension a.f.a.i.k. Would it be
an idea, and possible, to exclude them from the list shows in the
g.extension GUI, but maintaining them e.g., on the list on
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/addons/)?