[GRASS-dev] r.fill.gaps porting

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Sat Apr 15 05:32:45 PDT 2017

Hi,

Regarding the the smoothing, the description
states:

"Flags:

[..]

-p
    Preserve original cell values
    By default original values are smoothed"

The first paragraph under "DESCRIPTION" says:

"Alternatively, setting the -p flag will preserve the original cell values."

Is that not clear enough? If you want then I can add
a more prominent statement at the beginning of the
help page.

The thing is: I originally developed this module for
gradiometer data. That data is very noisy and has
high local variation. Interpolating that type of
data while preserving original measurements will
usually result in unsatisfactory output. Also note
that the smoothing increases with the interpolation
radius. For tiny holes in LiDAR data, try "distance=1"
or "2". Of course, LiDAR data probably has different
properties and does not need low-pass filtering
like gradiometer data. So try "-p" to preserve the
original values.

An alternative would be to invert the behaviour of
the module and assume "-p" by default.

I don't work with LiDAR data myself, but I would very
interested to know your results!

Best,

Ben