[GRASS-dev] t.register without input stds

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 23:34:15 PDT 2017

Hello,

[...]

> >> Did it get applied?
> >
> > Yes, it was applied in 70728 [1]. If not clear enough, please enhance.
>
> Ok - I suggest to extend the module description which currently is
>
> " t.register - Registers raster, vector and raster3d maps in a space
> time datasets. "
>
> as it does not reflect (for me) that a it also operates without input stds.
> Ideas?

mmm... what about:

" t.register - Assigns timestamps and registers raster, vector and raster3d
maps in a space time dataset. "

?

>> Since I stumbled over the same issue and spend a lot of time debugging
> >> for nothing :-) I now understood with off-list help from Soeren that
> >> t.register comes with two modes:
> >>
> >> - Mode 1: assigning timestamps to maps only
> >> - Mode 2: registering maps in the space time dataset
> >>
> >> I think that the best would be to print these two messages
> >> respectively when invoking t.register without or with "input="
> >> parameter. Like r.sun does...
> >>

> > Yes, that would help. But actually, mode 2, as you call it, does both:
> > assigns timestamps and registers maps in the input space time dataset.
>
> That's true, indeed they are not two distinct modes but 2 includes 1.

but the idea of printing messages saying what is being done if input is
used/not used, it is still valid, no? I think it might be *educational*
(?)... dunno if that's the best word...

> For the manual, I suggest to clarify the first two sentences which are
> the key to understand what t.register does:
>
> # currently
> "The module t.register is designed to register raster, 3D raster and
> vector maps in the temporal database and in specific space time
> datasets. This module must be used to assign time stamps to raster, 3D
> raster and vector maps."
>
> # suggestion
> "The module t.register either only assigns timestamps to raster, 3D
> raster and vector maps or additionally also registers them in the
> temporal database within specific space time datasets."
>
> ... ideas for better wording are welcome.

maybe clearer like this:

"The module t.register either only assigns timestamps to raster, 3D raster
and vector maps in the temporal database or additionally, also registers
them within specific space time datasets."

I can send a diff for both changes if you agree

best,
Vero