[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS raster files: LZW compression?

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Mon Dec 4 13:19:00 PST 2017

Markus Metz-3 wrote
> ZSTD compression has been added to trunk with r71889-92.
>
> ZSTD compression can be added with configure --with-zstd=yes or simpler
> configure --with-zstd
>
> In order to get some wider testing, ZSTD is now the default compression
> method in trunk if ZSTD is available.
>
> ZSTD is an improvement over ZLIB: generally it compresses faster and
> higher
> than ZLIB. Decompression is consistently much faster than with ZLIB. For
> more information on ZSTD (Zstandard), see
> http://facebook.github.io/zstd/
> https://github.com/facebook/zstd
>
> Please test!

anyone already tested on windows?

compiled ZSTD here in my msys2-ming64:

$ make -j4
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/zstd-dev/lib'
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/zstd-dev/programs'
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o common/entropy_common.o common/entropy_common.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o common/error_private.o common/error_private.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o common/fse_decompress.o common/fse_decompress.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o common/pool.o common/pool.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o common/threading.o common/threading.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o common/xxhash.o common/xxhash.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o common/zstd_common.o common/zstd_common.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o compress/fse_compress.o compress/fse_compress.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o compress/huf_compress.o compress/huf_compress.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o compress/zstd_compress.o compress/zstd_compress.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o compress/zstd_double_fast.o compress/zstd_double_fast.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o compress/zstd_fast.o compress/zstd_fast.c
cc -O3   -I../lib -I../lib/common -I../lib/compress -I../lib/dictBuilder
-DXXH_N
AMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I../lib/legacy -DZSTD_MULTITHREAD -DZSTD_GZCOMPRESS
-DZSTD_GZDEC
OMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMACOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMADECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZ4COMPRESS
-DZSTD_LZ4D
ECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4  -c -o zstdcli.o zstdcli.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o compress/zstd_lazy.o compress/zstd_lazy.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o compress/zstd_ldm.o compress/zstd_ldm.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o compress/zstd_opt.o compress/zstd_opt.c
cc -O3   -I../lib -I../lib/common -I../lib/compress -I../lib/dictBuilder
-DXXH_N
AMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I../lib/legacy -DZSTD_MULTITHREAD -DZSTD_GZCOMPRESS
-DZSTD_GZDEC
OMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMACOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMADECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZ4COMPRESS
-DZSTD_LZ4D
ECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4  -c -o fileio.o fileio.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o compress/zstdmt_compress.o compress/zstdmt_compress.c
cc -O3   -I../lib -I../lib/common -I../lib/compress -I../lib/dictBuilder
-DXXH_N
AMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I../lib/legacy -DZSTD_MULTITHREAD -DZSTD_GZCOMPRESS
-DZSTD_GZDEC
OMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMACOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMADECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZ4COMPRESS
-DZSTD_LZ4D
ECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4  -c -o bench.o bench.c
cc -O3   -I../lib -I../lib/common -I../lib/compress -I../lib/dictBuilder
-DXXH_N
AMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I../lib/legacy -DZSTD_MULTITHREAD -DZSTD_GZCOMPRESS
-DZSTD_GZDEC
OMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMACOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMADECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZ4COMPRESS
-DZSTD_LZ4D
ECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4  -c -o datagen.o datagen.c
cc -O3   -I../lib -I../lib/common -I../lib/compress -I../lib/dictBuilder
-DXXH_N
AMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I../lib/legacy -DZSTD_MULTITHREAD -DZSTD_GZCOMPRESS
-DZSTD_GZDEC
OMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMACOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMADECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZ4COMPRESS
-DZSTD_LZ4D
ECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4  -c -o dibio.o dibio.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o decompress/huf_decompress.o decompress/huf_decompress.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o decompress/zstd_decompress.o decompress/zstd_decompress.c
==> building with threading support
==> building zstd with .gz compression support
==> building zstd with .xz/.lzma compression support
==> building zstd with .lz4 compression support
windres/generate_res.bat
cc -I../lib -I../lib/common -I../lib/compress -I../lib/dictBuilder
-DXXH_NAMESPA
CE=ZSTD_ -I../lib/legacy -DZSTD_MULTITHREAD -DZSTD_GZCOMPRESS
-DZSTD_GZDECOMPRES
S -DZSTD_LZMACOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZMADECOMPRESS -DZSTD_LZ4COMPRESS
-DZSTD_LZ4DECOMPR
ESS -DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4 -O3   -pthread -lz -llzma -llz4
../lib/common/entrop
y_common.c ../lib/common/error_private.c ../lib/common/fse_decompress.c
../lib/c
ommon/pool.c ../lib/common/threading.c ../lib/common/xxhash.c
../lib/common/zstd
_common.c ../lib/compress/fse_compress.c ../lib/compress/huf_compress.c
../lib/c
ompress/zstd_compress.c ../lib/compress/zstd_double_fast.c
../lib/compress/zstd_
fast.c ../lib/compress/zstd_lazy.c ../lib/compress/zstd_ldm.c
../lib/compress/zs
td_opt.c ../lib/compress/zstdmt_compress.c
../lib/decompress/huf_decompress.c ..
/lib/decompress/zstd_decompress.c ../lib/dictBuilder/cover.c
../lib/dictBuilder/
divsufsort.c ../lib/dictBuilder/zdict.c ../lib/legacy/zstd_v04.c
../lib/legacy/z
std_v05.c ../lib/legacy/zstd_v06.c ../lib/legacy/zstd_v07.c zstdcli.o
fileio.o b
ench.o datagen.o dibio.o windres/zstd64.res -o zstd.exe -pthread -lz -llzma
-llz
4
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o deprecated/zbuff_common.o deprecated/zbuff_common.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o deprecated/zbuff_compress.o deprecated/zbuff_compress.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o deprecated/zbuff_decompress.o deprecated/zbuff_decompress.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o dictBuilder/cover.o dictBuilder/cover.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o dictBuilder/divsufsort.o dictBuilder/divsufsort.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o dictBuilder/zdict.o dictBuilder/zdict.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o legacy/zstd_v04.o legacy/zstd_v04.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o legacy/zstd_v05.o legacy/zstd_v05.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o legacy/zstd_v06.o legacy/zstd_v06.c
cc -O3   -I. -I./common -DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy
-DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4
-c -o legacy/zstd_v07.o legacy/zstd_v07.c
compiling dynamic library 1.3.2
compiling static library
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/zstd-dev/programs'
cp programs/zstd.exe .
dlltool -D dll\libzstd.dll -d dll\libzstd.def -l dll\libzstd.lib
C:\msys64\mingw64\bin\dlltool.exe: Path components stripped from dllname,
'dll\l
ibzstd.dll'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/zstd-dev/lib'

so far ok.

but 'make install' seems not to work in msys2-ming64.

any idea? any idea how to test it in windows/winGRASS?

-----
best regards
Helmut
--