[GRASS-dev] how difficult would it be to modify i.edge to not load the entire image into memory ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Dec 12 07:51:12 PST 2017

Hi Anna, Hi Vaclav,

I would love to use the i.edge module. However, the fact that it reads
everything into memory obviously limits its use either to small images,
or to tiled versions of larger images.

I have just rapidly looked at the code, but I cannot really detect any
place where you really need the entire image, or ? The Gaussian filter
could be cut off at a certain distance and the actual Canny detector is
also based on a kernel, AFAICT. So, do you think this could be rewritten
to use the SEGMENT library and at all times only load necessary parts of
the image into memory ?

Moritz