[GRASS-dev] GSoC proposal "Higher level API for C and C++" : need for discussion

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Feb 1 08:59:04 PST 2017

Hi,

I just the GSoC proposal for a "Higher level API for C and C++". I
_think_ I understand where this comes from, but it does raise some very
fundamental issues about how GRASS is written and should be written,
notably, but not only, the inclusion of a C++ API.

I just want to ensure that there is sufficient discussion on the list
about such a project which could have far-reaching consequences. And if
we ever decide to for such a project, then I think it has to be made
absolutely clear that the student working on this needs to be extremely
proficient in C/C++. Otherwise, I'm afraid that we risk creating a great
mess that might need lots of cleanup work afterwards.

Moritz