[GRASS-dev] What long-term support means for GRASS GIS?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 06:26:17 PST 2017

Hi,

I know we've already touched on that, but I'm still unclear about what
"long-term support" means for us. The release announcement for 7.2 says:

  As a stable release series, 7.2.x enjoys long-term support.

which is more or less the same what 7.0 announcement says:

  As a stable release 7.0 will enjoy long-term support.

Both are from a stable branch, i.e. not development (=trunk), both are
releases, i.e. not daily builds or something like that, and finally both
are stable releases, i.e. not release candidates. So what the long-term
support means? Are all GRASS GIS releases long-term support? Is it in
comparison to other software support policies? How it would look like if
would have release which is not long-term support? What should we
communicate to users and potential users?

Thanks,
Vaclav

https://grass.osgeo.org/news/42/15/GRASS-GIS-7-0-0/
https://grass.osgeo.org/news/66/15/GRASS-GIS-7-2-0-released/