[GRASS-dev] wxGUI: align to resolution by default

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Thu Jan 5 02:42:30 PST 2017

Hi,

Actually, I would have no strong opinions about this. However, I am a bit confused...

Cause I almost never use the a-flag.

In fact I use the a-flag only when I want to interpolate e.g. LiDAR point clouds to a new raster with a nice resolution. In all other cases I use the align option, when I want my data to match with the resolution of an existing raster (most of the time a terrain model).

So, when I want to grab the extend from a vector map but want to keep the pixels from my DEM I do:
g.region -p vector=vect_map align=rast_map

For a reported Processing bug in QGIS I even suggested to drop the usage of the a-flag (which Processing used as a default): https://hub.qgis.org/issues/14582
So now I am a bit unsure if my suggestion for Processing bug #14582 was correct... I still think dropping the a-flag was correct for the processing use case ...

Finally, I had a look into the g.region manual and was surprised to see that there is neither an example using the a-flag nor the align option. Would be probably worth adding this. If you agree I can come up with suggestions...

And probably also the description of the a flag could be slightly reworded into e.g.:
"Adjust region extent to be a multiple of the resolution (default = align to bounds, works only for 2D resolution)" (which was: "Align region to resolution (default = align to bounds, works only for 2D resolution)").

Cheers
Stefan