[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #3258: Launching in text mode should not automaticly use location/mapset from rc file

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu Jan 12 23:24:56 PST 2017

#3258: Launching in text mode should not automaticly use location/mapset from rc
file
-------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  marisn       |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Platform:  Unspecified  |
-------------------------+-------------------------
 I am using GRASS on my box in two modes - GUI when I'm on-site and text
 when remote. This has shown a problem in current rc file logic:
 * If location/mapset has been removed and it is provided during startup,
 it sill generates an error message of missing location/mapset (took some
 time till I understood why my batch processing is so verbose)
 * If I have started with -text, subsequent runs will automatically start
 in text mode with last used location/mapset. If I run GRASS from menu not
 CLI, it is quite confusing to get thrown directly into some kind of
 session without choosing one.
 GRASS should not start if no location/mapset is specified as rc file could
 be already outdated. Explicit is always better than implicit. rc should be
 a hint not a rule, as users are not asked to "use the same location/mapset
 next time" when it is created.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3258>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>