[GRASS-dev] New attempt to update GRASS for Mac

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 12:54:19 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
wrote:

> My group (CoMSES Net) is looking into Docker as a means of more
> reproducible research in modeling science. Initial tests have gone OK, but
> show that doing software with a GUI is considerably more complicated than
> doing code that just runs from the command line. It might ultimately be
> worthwhile to package GRASS as a Docker image.

We don't have an official GRASS Docker image. Maybe it wouldn't be even
that advantageous for open science purposes. Anyway, we have already many
Dockerfiles. See for example one from me which I created for
reproducibility of my recent paper:

https://github.com/wenzeslaus/forestfrag3d/blob/master/Dockerfile

In the case of that repository, the idea is that user can (but does not
have to) run GRASS GIS or QGIS (with GRASS GIS) natively on the data
created in the Docker image, but the main outputs are PNG images, so no
special software is necessary.

In past, I had success in using Docker with SSH (all local). However, for
future it seems that things like Jupyter Notebook (with its widgets) or a
general web interface to GRASS GIS are a way how to get a GUI while using a
Docker image.

Vaclav