[GRASS-dev] GRASS flyer for the new osgeo branding

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jul 27 00:21:56 PDT 2017

On 27/07/17 09:06, Luca Delucchi wrote:
> On 26 July 2017 at 11:31, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>>
>> Some quick remarks:
>>
>> - First of all: who are why addressing with this ? Users or developers ? The
>> following remarks assume users.
>>

> new users
>
>> - The first title reads "A mature mapping suite". I'm not sure I would
>> advertise GRASS first and foremost for mapping. I'd rather present it as
>> "A mature spatial analysis suite" or something similar.
>>

> +1, you are completely right
>
>> - Maybe an extract of the "GRASS GIS capabilities" on
>> https://grass.osgeo.org/documentation/general-overview/ would be more
>> important than the interoperability and development information. I think
>> people should first get a vision of what GRASS GIS actually does before
>> thinking about how interoperable it is...
>>
>> - Paragraphs could possibly be rearranged to create a drilling down from the
>> most important general info to more specific info. I would say that for
>> first contact with users the most important elements are: what is it/what
>> does it do ? who uses it ? On what OS's does it run ? Is there documentation
>> ? Is there a community ? Is it "certified" (I agree that the fact that it is
>> an OSGeo project needs to be prominently present) ?  ...
>>

> I follow this two idea and revisit the flyer, please look the new version
>
> https://github.com/lucadelu/osgeo/blob/grass/marketing/print/grass_a4.svg

Great !

Again a few remarks after a rapid glance:

- If we say in the opening paragraph that it is the "oldest" free GIS,
then we should probably add in the same sentence something like "but
still at the bleeding edge of innovation in GIS technology".

- I don't find that the paragraph on the top right really explains "Data
management capabilities" since most of what is in it concerns data
analysis. Maybe entitle it "Features" ?

- psmap is not the tool that "interactively compares two maps"

And just an idea: maybe replace the paragraph entitles "Graphical tools"
(the list of which I find a bit abstract for new users) by one called
"Multiple forms of use" [better title needed] explaining that you can
use GRASS via a GUI (maybe cite some of the GUI modules in parantheses
there), via command line (e.g. on headless servers) and via easy
integration into different programming languages.

Moritz