[GRASS-dev] Week 01 Report - Integration Of PDAL into GRASS GIS

Paul Schrum paul.schrum at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 18:14:48 PDT 2017

Submitted by Paul Schrum
Also available at Integration Of PDAL into GRASS GIS
<https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2017/IntegrationOfPDALintoGRASSGIS>

   1. What did you get done this week?

   - Built GRASS73 from source from my local repo directoy.
   - Stepped into a module (v.in.ascii) using the debugger to watch it work
   at the source code level. This was only proving the concept of stepping
   into the code – just getting it to work.
   - Talked with my mentor about the nature of the existing v.in.pdal
   module and what are some of the things which must be changed, fixed, or
   improved.

   1. What do you plan on doing next week?

   - Continue stepping through v.in.ascii to see how it works at the source
   level in order to understand how to write points to a vectormap.
   - Get GRASS 73 to link to current version of PDAL.
   - Fix broken references to PDAL data structures in the GRASS source
   - Refactor existing v.in.pdal so that operations which r.in.pdal and r3
   <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/3>.in.pdal will need are in a
   separate module and available as functions to be called from all three of
   them.
   - Learn the process of calling PDAL and how to get it to do the basic
   operation of reading a lidar file and handing over the data to the caller.
   - Set up a basic set of test data for PDAL, open it from pdal without
   GRASS, then open it using pdal through GRASS with only the most basic
   options in operation.
   - Get PDAL to be able to read .laz (compressed) files. For some reason
   it can’t do that after build-from-source.

   1. Are you blocked on anything?

I had two listed on the Wiki when I originally posted it, but my mentor
helped me work through those before the end of the reporting period for
Week 1. So there are currently no issues blocking me.