[GRASS-dev] v.univar vs v.db.univar

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Jun 21 14:12:15 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 10:19 PM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> v.univar can also compute statistics on the distances between vector
> geometries. There is no explanation in the manual what this should be good
> for. Markus N, you wanted this feature many years ago, do you remember why?

I found this related ticket:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/942

Checking further, I found a personal wish email to MartinL from 2009.
AFAIR I was dealing with LiDAR point clouds of the Trentino back
then... and needed to know the average distance between points in
order to optimize raster binning (meanwhile I would probably use
r.in.xyz and count the points falling into each raster cell, then
r.univar on the resulting map).

However, to have the possibility to compute statistics on the
distances between vector (point) geometries makes sense to me in a
GIS.

markusN