[GRASS-dev] v.univar vs v.db.univar

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Jun 22 04:39:02 PDT 2017

On Jun 22, 2017 11:43 AM, "Markus Metz"
> > On 21/06/17 23:12, Markus Neteler wrote:

> >> Checking further, I found a personal wish email to MartinL from 2009.
> >> AFAIR I was dealing with LiDAR point clouds of the Trentino back
> >> then... and needed to know the average distance between points
>
> Did you really want to average distance to all other points or rather the
average distance to the nearest other point?

Indeed the latter...

> >> in
> >> order to optimize raster binning (meanwhile I would probably use
> >> r.in.xyz and count the points falling into each raster cell, then
> >> r.univar on the resulting map).
> >>
> >> However, to have the possibility to compute statistics on the
> >> distances between vector (point) geometries makes sense to me in a
> >> GIS.
> >

> > Would this possibly be better done within v.distance ? Something like a
-s flag meaning "Output summary statistics of desired information" which
would take the info chosen in upload=, and possibly the -a flag and
calculated summary statistics ?

> v.distance uses the distance to the nearest feature while v.univar uses
all distances to all other features. While v.distance makes sense to me,
v.univar's distances to all other features do not make sense to me.

I agree.

markusN