[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS installation on Mac OSX [was : Re: [GRASS GIS] #2942: Startup after Novice Install]

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Jun 27 00:26:46 PDT 2017

On 27/06/17 01:02, GRASS GIS wrote:
> #2942: Startup after Novice Install
> ------------------------+-------------------------
>   Reporter:  pactriglo  |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
>       Type:  defect     |     Status:  new
>  Component:  Startup    |    Version:  7.0.3
> Resolution:             |   Keywords:
>        CPU:  OSX/Intel  |   Platform:  MacOSX
> ------------------------+-------------------------
>
> Comment (by annakrat):
>
>  Use homebrew from osgeo4mac:
>
>  {{{
>  brew tap osgeo/osgeo4mac
>  brew install grass7
>  }}}
>
> --
> Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2942#comment:5>
> GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>

Is this the official recommendation on how to install GRASS GIS on Mac
OSX these days ?

My students with MacOSX have been a bit confused about the different
ways to download GRASS GIS, especially when they were trying to install
it in parallel with QGIS for cross-usage (grass plugin and processing
toolbox).

BTW, in the homebrew formula for grass7 [1] I see:

stable do
     url "https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/source/grass-7.2.0.tar.gz"

i.e. 7.2.0, instead of 7.2.1.

Maybe we should create a symbolic link

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/source/current_stable.tar.gz ->
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/source/grass-7.2.1.tar.gz

?

Or even

https://grass.osgeo.org/current_stable.tar.gz ->
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/source/grass-7.2.1.tar.gz

to make it easier for build scripts such as these to always point to the
latest stable version ?

Moritz

[1]
https://github.com/OSGeo/homebrew-osgeo4mac/blob/master/Formula/grass7.rb