[GRASS-dev] [release] GRASS 7.2.1 planning

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Mar 3 00:27:46 PST 2017

Sorry to get back to this so late:

On 26/02/17 21:52, Markus Metz wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com
> <mailto:landa.martin at gmail.com>> wrote:

> <mailto:hellik at web.de>>:
>> > spring 2017 - 7.4.0
>> > autumn 2017 - 7.4.1
>>
>> 7.4.0 in spring 2017??? You probably meant spring 2018?
>>
>> Last release is 7.2.0 (Dec 2016), we even haven't released 7.2.1. It's
>> always harder to release 7.x.0 than point releases, like 7.2.x. So
>> less releases do not really help.
>
> +1
> IMHO more releases do help, e.g more frequent 7.2.x releases with bug fixes.

This is exactly the question: only bug fixes, or also small improvements
as Martin suggests.

>> Preparing 7.4.0 will take longer time, we need to prepare major
>> release news, create release branch and so on. A lot of work. Moreover
>> release branch should be created in advance, I guess ~ 5 months before
>> release.
>
> There must be a good reason to release a new GRASS 7 branch, e.g. some
> new exciting features or bug fixes that because of their complexity
> could not be backported.

I think we should not place the expectations to high to minor release
versions. Especially if point releases are bug fixes only, then I think
that we should have more minor version releases with improvements, even
if they are more incremental than really exciting new features...

Moritz