[GRASS-dev] i.atcorr produces 'nan' values for certain RapidEye bands

Florian Detsch florian.detsch at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Mar 6 01:57:43 PST 2017

Dear all,

I am experiencing rather strange behavior when using RapidEye
top-of-atmosphere (TOA) reflectances as input for i.atcorr. Here, some
band-specific output solely contains nan values, whereas other
atmospherically corrected layers look just fine.

For replication purposes, sample RapidEye Ortho Level 3A data. which is
provided by third parties, is publicly available from GitHub
(https://github.com/italocegatta/rapidr/tree/master/inst/extdata).
At-sensor radiances, which show the same strange behavior as TOA
reflectances, can easily be calculated therefrom through multiplying the
digital numbers of all five bands by 0.01. The SRTM digital elevation
model (DEM) and band-specific parameter files, that serve as additional
input parameters for i.atcorr, are available from Dropbox
(https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3j1nvveblrrp0z1/AABo5SPww63uX80hacpK4A59a?dl=0).
Aerosol optical depth and mean elevation specified in the parameter
files have been taken from MODIS (MOD/MYD08_D3, V006) and SRTM,
respectively. The remaining parameters are either taken from the
accompanying metadata file or inherit standard values as specified in
the GRASS 7.2 i.atcorr manual
(https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/i.atcorr.html).

Now, when I run i.atcorr in GRASS 7.2 (Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, 64-bit or
Windows 10, 64-bit - I have tested both) using the above parameter file,
the atmospherically corrected image for band 1 looks as expected. The
resulting image for band 2, on the other hand, contains nan values only.
By contrast, when processing band 2, but specifying the paramter file
for band 1 (i.e., band code is 88 rather than 89), the resulting
atmospherically corrected image looks fine as well. The tool is operated
using the above SRTM DEM as input elevation map and, since I am dealing
with TOA reflectances rather than at-sensor radiances, flag "-r"
enabled. But as said, nan values in band 2 occur for TOA reflectances
and at-sensor radiances in a similar fashion.

I am quite aware that this is a well-known issue. Similar problems have
been reported and partly discussed on GRASS-user
(https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2011-May/060992.html),
GRASS-dev
(http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/i-atcorr-returns-nan-for-Landsat-5-TM-bands-1-and-2-td5106456.html),
and they seem to appear outside the official GRASS communications
channels as well (e.g.
https://github.com/NikosAlexandris/i.landsat.atcorr). Although some
older GRASS versions (when run under certain operating systems) or
manipulating the time of observation in the accompanying parameter file
seem to increase a chance of success, no consensual solution has been
found on how to deal with such behavior appropriately.

Any help on this matter would be highly appreciated.

Best,
Florian

--
Dr. Florian Detsch