[GRASS-dev] Creating / reading in random sample of raster values in Python script

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 12:07:45 PDT 2017

Hi,

For a script I am working on, I am looking for a way to select a X
number of raster cells and their values into a numpy array. I can create
a layer with r.random, and read in that layer into a numpy array, but I
rather avoid having to read in the whole raster layer. I can also from
within the script run r.random  to generate a raster layer, r.stats to
export the resulting raster layer as a text file (with n flag), and than
read in the text file in Python. But I wonder if there is not a more
direct way to accomplish this..

Cheers,

Paulo