[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS and GSoC

Zechariah Krautwurst zfkrautw at ncsu.edu
Mon Mar 27 15:55:54 PDT 2017

Hello All,

My name is Zeke Krautwurst and I am interested in participating in GSoC
this summer through GRASS GIS. I have been in contact with developers
Vashek Petras and Anna Petrasova at NCSU.  Vashek recommended that I reach
out to the broader dev community as well, potentially to find a lead mentor.

As part of my Master of Geospatial Information Science and Technology
coursework at NCSU, I am working on a few projects using Python,
PostgreSQL, and database development that I think will apply to the needs
of the *GRASS GIS Locations created from public data
<https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2017#GRASSGISLocationscreatedfrompublicdata>*
 project.

Through April, I will be creating a GUI and Python scripts to convert
multiple formats of publicly available microbiome data into a standardized
geospatial format. I also hope to create a normalized PostgreSQL database
that accommodates the scripts, the microbiome data, and associated metadata
which could all be deployed through a web-based framework.

I want to use GRASS GIS for both of those assignments in place of ArcMap
and I think that completing those projects will give me the experience I
need to be useful to the GRASS GIS project over the summer. Additionally, I
am looking to develop and complete my MGIST capstone project this coming
Fall and I would be happy to continue this work through graduation in Dec
2017.

Thanks for your time and please let me know if anyone has any feedback or
advice!

Best,

Zeke

--