[GRASS-dev] Self-Introduction for GSoc 2017

Paul Schrum paul.schrum at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 15:32:48 PDT 2017

Hello Everyone,

I would like to introduce myself to the group with the hope of having a
proposal selected for GSoC this summer on a GRASS GIS project.  I am
particularly interested in Integration of PDAL into GRASS GIS
<https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2017#IntegrationofPDALintoGRASSGIS>.

I am a student at North Carolina State University in the Master of
Geospatial Information Science and Technology program.  I am a bit older
than the average student, so I have some work experience to accompany my
education.

I am a registered Professional Engineer in North Carolina (018172) and I
have worked as a Roadway Design Engineer for over 20 years.  I also worked
five years as a software developer for Bentley Systems, Inc. (the makers of
Microstation) working on their GEOPAK Road Suite of Applications.

As an MGIST student at NC State, I now work as a Teaching Assistant for GIS
540, GIS Programming Fundamentals, which is an introductory course for
programming ArcGIS in Python.  I also currently do some programming of
ArcGIS Pro in C#.

My strongest languages are C# and Python.  I have a lot of experience in C
and dabbled in C++.  If I get accepted to the PDAL project, I will be
focusing on learning C++ well, but this should come quickly since I am well
versed in OOP concepts from becoming proficient in C# and Python.  I
believe in Unit Testing, and I believe in Clean Coding principles.

On github I have some work-in-progress projects which are currently
suspended, but I can highlight this one, CogoPy
<https://github.com/PaulSchrum/CogoPy>, because it is in Python.

Finally, I would like to mention a patent which I was recently
granted, Corridor
Modeling System, Apparatus, and Method
<https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US20140229142.pdf>
.

I love being a engineer who can implement my ideas (or other peoples') in
computer code.  That is why I came back to school for a Master's degree --
to propel me to the next level, and I hope that includes developing
software in this domain.

- Paul Schrum
Raleigh, NC