[GRASS-dev] new addon: i.variance

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu May 4 10:26:12 PDT 2017

Hi Moritz,

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> FYI, I uploaded a simple new addon, i.variance [1], which calculates local
> variance in an image for successively degraded resolution in order to detect
> whether there are certain scales corresponding to specific, well-represented
> objects in that image. It is based on [2].

Very interesting!

Would you mind to add a note on how to interprete the "peak values of
variance" in the examples?
Say, what to deduce from it in terms of the size of detectable objects?

thanks
Markus

> Enjoy !
>
> Moritz
>
> [1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/addons/i.variance.html
> [2] Curtis E. Woodcock, Alan H. Strahler, The factor of scale in remote
> sensing, Remote Sensing of Environment, Volume 21, Issue 3, April 1987,
> Pages 311-332, ISSN 0034-4257,
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0034-4257(87)90015-0.

Markus Neteler, PhD
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software