[GRASS-dev] error when running v.distance in python script

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Fri May 19 07:03:34 PDT 2017

Hi Anna and Luca,

On 19-05-17 15:52, Anna Petrášová wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Paulo van Breugel
>> Hi devs
>>
>> I am trying to use v.distance in a Python script. However, I am getting the
>> error
>>
>> Module("v.distance", from=tmpout3, to=tmp_val, upload="to_attr",
>>         column="x", to_column=column)
>>    File "<ipython-input-138-da4ba6c2bb80>", line 1
>>      Module("v.distance", from=tmpout3, to=tmp_val, upload="to_attr",
>>                              ^
>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>
>> If I run the same directly on the command-line it runs without errors.
>>
>> v.distance from=testmap1 to=testmap2 upload=to_attr column=x to_column=lv
>>
>> Is this because 'from' is a reserved word perhaps? If so, how do I use this
>> in a Python script? Otherwise, any idea what I might be doing wrong?
> Try _from or from_ (I am not sure which one is the right one now).
So the underscore the prefix or suffix function as an escape character?

It seems to work both if used with grass.script

import grass.script as gs

gs.run_command("v.distance", from_=tmpout3, to=tmp_val, upload="to_attr", column="x", to_column=column)

Both do not seem to work with Module

from grass.pygrass.modules import Module