[GRASS-dev] PostGIS layer import

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue May 23 02:34:09 PDT 2017

On 19/05/17 22:31, Markus Metz wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org
> <mailto:neteler at osgeo.org>> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Markus Metz
>> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com <mailto:markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>> > On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Moritz Lennert

>> > I agree
>>
>> Just a side-note: I would be very happy to not store the password in
>> the cmd line history.
>> PG itself supports a password file
>> (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/libpq-pgpass.html).
>>
>> Please keep any password hiding option(s) in mind when working on the
> design.
>
> Apparently such a password file is recognized by the PostgreSQL client
> library, therefore no special mechanism should be needed for OGR or
> GRASS, but a hint in the manuals of db.login and v.in.ogr might be helpful.

Just as a feedback: I just tried v.in.ogr with

v.in.ogr "PG:host=thehost dbname=thedb user=theuser"  layer=thetable
out=mymap

and a .pgpass file entry as such:

thehost:5432:thedb:theuser:thepasswd

and it works like a charm.

Is login info really useful for other drivers than pg and mysql ? Maybe
we should look into deprecating db.login and telling people to use the
.pgpass / .mylogin.cnf files ?

If we want to keep a tool such as db.login it should probably work with
a password prompt that doesn't show the password on the command line.

Moritz