[GRASS-dev] Implement a REST API for GRASS

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Thu May 25 00:30:06 PDT 2017

Hi Moritz,

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> - first of all: is build a REST API for GRASS a stupid idea? should we
>> use/promote just the WPS?
>>

> Well, what is your argument agains WPS ? Why do you think a REST API is
> necessary / useful ?

The main REST advantage, that I see, is that it is easier to explore and
understand. If I need to perform just a simple operation I can navigate
over the API and understand how to perform a request in few minutes, with
no need to understand the protocol and the link between different
elements...

The REST is not bonded to one single format (xml). JSON is easier/faster to
read usually than xml and it is generally a better fit for data. REST
allows better support for browser clients due to it’s support for JSON and
generate a browser client for it should be quite straight forward. It seems
like REST has better performance and scalability.

Nowadays REST services seems to be the industry standard (is internally
used by Google, Amazon, Yahoo, etc)...

You may found further analyses here:
http://docs.opengeospatial.org/per/16-035.html#_advantages_and_disadvantages_of_using_rest

Respect to the WPS protocols a GRASS REST API has the advantage that don't
have to be a general standard for every possible processing service but can
be specifically designed/optimized for GRASS.

So in my mind a GRASS REST API is just a simple and convenient way to
expose some selected GRASS modules capabilities through a browser.

Best regards

Pietro