[GRASS-dev] G7 helptext: replace Fig. 1: GRASS GIS 7 location structure with new figure

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu May 25 08:31:53 PDT 2017

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 1:15 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> IMHO "Fig. 1: GRASS GIS 7 location structure" in
> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/help_loc_struct.png
> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/helptext.html
>
> (master: doc/help_loc_structure.odg)
>
> often confuses users while
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:Grass_database.png
>
> is so much better! Could we exchange that somehow?
>
> The help_loc_struct.png is fine for the dev manual but not for the user
> manual.
>
> Since you are the author of File:Grass_database.png I thought to ask here.

Yes, but it is more complicated. The reason to create the new figure was
that the old one is developer and file structure focused. The new one is
hight level and user focused.

However, the important part is that the figure is for a new page which is
supposed to be the new page about the database which would separate a
detailed explanation of the database from the intro to GRASS. The
helptext.html is now used (as link or button) for both explanation of the
database structure and into to using GRASS. The database page is here:

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass73/manuals/grass_database.html

The into page is still missing. There is of course an overlap in between
these two. It could look like one of those:

http://ncsu-geoforall-lab.github.io/grass-intro-workshop/intro.html
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~akratoc/GRASS_intro/
http://fatra.cnr.ncsu.edu/temporal-grass-workshop/GRASS_intro.pdf

Vaclav